Seems as though the more I want to post, the less it happens. So, as usual, an update is at hand.
1. Before Thanksgiving Tracy, Allyson and Becky came over to have a day of crafty-ness. Basically Tracy and I wanted to get our Advent calendars made and Al and Becky needed to get some stuff for CrossCurrent finalized….all while having 7 kids around. Hence, we didn’t get everything accomplished that we wanted to. Al and Becky graciously watched the kids while we whittled away at the Advent calendars. (Well, while Tracy whittled away at her calendar!) It was a good time of chatting, eating, crafting, organizing and the normal child chaos. After 2 weeks, I finally got the main parts finished of my calendar, and I’m sure it will take me the next couple of winters to finish it. Why? Not because it’s a lot to do, but because unfortunately, that’s just how I roll. There were a couple different ways we thought about going through it, and finally just settled on going through the Christmas story starting with Creation, the Fall, promises made by God and then God’s faithfulness in providing a Savior. Last night was just a black piece of paper under the first door symbolizing before Creation (Gen 1:1-2). Ezra’s response? “Cool. Can we look at this Lego book?” Seems to be a hit here! Anyway, here’s what I have so far:
2. Our little Lila at 4 months is a whopping 14 lbs 8 oz and is still my most favorite baby. I mean that in the way that she is the most calm and happy baby that we’ve had. I’m allowed to say it. Really.
3. Thanksgiving was wonderful, of course! Some of my immediate family came over to Eric’s family’s house, which was great! It was really good to see my bro–first time since he moved away in August. There were 28 people here, and though I know for some people that seems a little crazy, it’s always a good time. A little later on in the evening we played “The Newlywed Game”….I don’t think I have to say anymore. There was even a surprise phone call from Nick from bootcamp, so there were tears of joy all around. 🙂
4. Christmas shopping: finished. Well, almost. Eric and I just have 2 things to get (and we already know what those things are!) and then something for each other. I will say that this is the earliest in my lifetime that I am 90% finished shopping/making for Christmas. Which means I’ll probably have other ideas to add which will result in an all out week-before-Christmas-scramble to “make.” Ah well.
5. In an effort to make ornaments that are “our own” (meaning not the ones your parents handed down to you–not that they’re bad, just want to make our own family traditions in addition to those…), I started with just a few plain old pinecones, glue, and glitter. Now, I’m all for making a mess with my kids and not being anal about stuff everywhere when it comes to crafting with them. But I will say that glitter should not be used by anyone under the age of 5. Meaning, ANY of our kids. It was a mess and kind of ugly, but fun regardless.
I’m pretty sure I will spend the next 2 weeks finding glitter EVERYWHERE.
(btw, i know blue glitter isn’t exactly Christmas-y, but that was the only other option….Ezra wanted his to be “different”–go figure)
I know this post has nothing thought provoking (does it ever??), interesting, or even funny in it, but it was just on my mind. I apologize for the wasted time you just spent. Ah well, maybe next time.
I’ll leave you with a couple pics of the kids because, they’re just too darn cute.